Friday 1 May 2009

The Swifts are back!

DAY 7 - EGG COUNT 5 (girls are laying well)
Very exciting news - the swifts are back! OK, it might not sound that exciting to you but we just love it when these beautiful and clever little birds arrive back because for us, it signals the iminent arrival of summer (not that you'd think so, it's raining again.)
I find it amazing that these birds fly all the way from Africa, non stop and then manage to find their way back to the previous year's nests in the eaves of our car port - how do they do that? As I write, they are whizzing in and out at superfast speeds, tidying and re-feathering the nests. Soon, there will be eggs and then sweet little chicks with ever open beaks waiting to be fed. Later, as the summer draws to a close, the parents will be coaxing them from the safety of their nests and giving them flying lessons in readiness for the long flight back to sunnier climes. That's the bit I find depressing as I find myself wanting to join them instead of staying her to endure another winter - maybe this year, I might just book that flight and join them.

No comments:

Post a Comment